Well folks, it’s finally going up!!! Please come join us for the installation of what may be one of Kansas City’s top icons for decades to come. Thank you to Mayor Sly James and his team for helping to make this happen!
We’ll have the Airstream (our Mobile Coffee Unit) out serving free Roasterie Coffee starting around 6:30 A.M. Come help celebrate and witness something that has never, ever been done before!
The Countdown is On!
Please join The Roasterie as we unveil our iconic, full-size DC-3 aircraft at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2012. The airplane will be mounted atop our manufacturing facility in Downtown Kansas City. We’ll be using the largest crane in Kansas City, so our fingers are crossed for perfect weather! We look forward to seeing you Tuesday morning!
The Countdown is On! The Roasterie To Unveil Iconic DC-3 Airplane
Atop New Production Facility in Downtown Kansas City
Unveiling to be held at 7 a.m. on September 11 featuring special guests Bob Dodson of Dodson Aviation, plus former TWA employees and volunteers
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Sept. 6, 2012) – Move over Kauffman Center and Western Auto sign! The well-known icons of the downtown Kansas City skyline are about to welcome a new addition. At 7 a.m. on September 11, 2012 The Roasterie will unveil a full-size DC-3 airplane permanently mounted atop the company’s new coffee production facility located at 1204 W. 27th Street in Kansas City, Missouri. The ceremony will include special guests Bob Dodson of Dodson Aviation who restored the historic airplane for The Roasterie, along with several former TWA employee volunteers who played a key role in the refurbishment. The Roasterie’s founder and Bean Baron, Danny O’Neill, will lead the event.
The DC-3 airplane represents the adventurous spirit and excellent quality of The Roasterie and its coffees and has become famous in Kansas City for its eye-catching representation in The Roasterie’s logo. This particular DC-3, which will use the roof of The Roasterie’s production facility as its permanent foundation, boasts its own adventurous spirit – in 1948 it was flown by the U.S. military during the Berlin Airlift.
The American-made Douglas DC-3 aircraft is one of the most significant transport aircraft in history and helped revolutionize air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. The original design concept of the DC-3 was the result of Trans World Airline’s (TWA’s) search for a modern airplane and served as the backbone of the airline industry in the 1930s and ‘40’s being larger, faster and more luxurious than previous aircraft. The DC-3 boasts a wingspan of more than 95 feet and weight of more than 16,000 lbs. Well-known in the coffee industry, DC-3 airplanes also were used to transport harvested coffee beans from remote areas.
The unveiling of the DC-3 aircraft is the next step in the ongoing renovation and expansion of The Roasterie, which will take advantage of the company’s five acres of property in the heart of Kansas City to double its coffee production space. Following its grand opening expected Fall 2012, the facility will feature a new Roasterie Café (the company’s third in Kansas City), an expanded, more comfortable cupping room, and Bean Hangar event space, all stylized in trendy industrial chic.
“We are truly excited, as the unveiling of the airplane not only represents the spirit of The Roasterie, but it also brings us one step closer to completion of our new coffee production facility and café,” said Danny O’Neill, president and founder of The Roasterie. “We’re really looking forward to the grand opening in October and being able to open our doors to our neighbors so they can come and enjoy their favorite coffees and explore all we do from bean to brew.”
In addition to the mounted DC-3 airplane, additional features of the new Roasterie production facility will include:
· The Roasterie Café. Life is an adventure and along the way make time to treasure the people and places you encounter. The third Roasterie Café location in Greater Kansas City will feature an entrance with 18’ glass windows, seating for up to 100 people, meeting spaces, and an overall 3000 sq. ft. of space.
· The Bean Hangar. The Roasterie’s new funky, fun, and creative event venue will accommodate events for 10 to 400 people for weddings, rehearsal dinners, class reunions, social and corporate events. Bookings are being taken now for events beginning in late October 2012.
· The Cupping Room. This is where the magic happens as new and custom blends are developed and sampled for retail customers, restaurants, coffee shops and more. Private cuppings to develop custom blends also will be available.
· Tours. Free multimedia-based guided tours will offer a glimpse into The Roasterie’s bean to brew process including a look through 127’ glass walls into the production facility and walk-through of the production floor. Sample tastings of Roasterie blends in the expanded cupping room will complete the tours. Tours will be held once daily beginning at 10 a.m. on Mondays through Saturdays. Pre-arranged special group tours also will be available.
· Expanded Parking. Free parking for tours, events and employees will be provided in an expanded, paved lot across the street from The Bean Hangar.
Dodson Aviation, founded by Bob Dodson and based in Ottawa, Kan., offers restored aircraft and parts to customers around the globe from its 200,000 sq. foot warehouse with inventory of more than 5 million aircraft parts. The company specializes in the addition of turbo prop engines to aircraft. The DC-3 aircraft provided to The Roasterie was restored by retired TWA personnel who assisted with its disassembly, painting and reassembly. Four of the former TWA personnel involved in the project are Master Mechanics and recipients of the coveted Charles Taylor Award, the highest award given for 50 years without a violation. Guided by Dodson Aviation, a crane will be used to move the airplane into place atop The Roasterie.
Founded in 1993, The Roasterie is one of the most renowned specialty coffee roasters in the nation. The Roasterie is committed to procuring the best coffees from around the world directly for a fair price, then roasting the beans using a convection air-roasting method to ensure superior consistency and a tastier, smoother cup of coffee. The company operates a coffee production facility and two Roasterie Café locations in Greater Kansas City. For more information please visit www.theroasterie.com or contact us at(816) 931-4000.